The amazing Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner made an End of Year Survey for book nerds (her 7th annual one!) and I’ll be using it for my yearly wrap-up. Check it out below and have a happy New Year!
2016 Reading Stats
Number of Books You Read: 100
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read the Most From: YA Fantasy
Best In Books
1. Best Book You Read in 2016?
There’s no contest. A Court of Mist and Fury, for sure.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn’t?
All the Bright Places. It was SO overhyped.
3. Most Surprising (in a good way or bad way) Book You Read?
November 9 surprised me because I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would. This was another overhyped book for me.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People to Read (And They Did)?
I attempted to push a lot of people to read ACOMAF but I don’t think anyone did lol.
5. Best Series You Started In 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
This is tough. Best series I started this year has to be Throne of Glass. I binged all the books this year. The best sequel of 2016 is ACOMAF (duh!). Crooked Kingdom and The Midnight Star tie for best series ender. They were both so well done that I can’t choose.
6. Favorite New Author You Discovered in 2016?
Kasie West; I’m obsessed with her books now.
7. Best Book From a Genre You Don’t Typically Read/Was Out of Your Comfort Zone?
Illuminae and Gemina. I don’t read sci-fi that often but I love this series.
8. Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of the Year?
Crooked Kingdom, for sure. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, worried about my Dregs.
9. Book You Read in 2016 That You Are Most Likely to Re-Read Next Year?
ACOMAF, lol. Sorry not sorry.
10. Favorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2016?
The Raven King cover is GORGEOUS!
11. Most Memorable Character of 2016?
This is a really tough call but I gotta got with the High Lord of the Night Court, Rhysand.
12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read in 2016?
Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. Just thinking about it makes me cry.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2016?
The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. So beautiful and thought provoking.
14. Book You Can’t Believe You Waited UNTIL 2016 to Finally Read?
Definitely the last four Harry Potter books. Honestly, I really can’t believe I’d never read them before.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From a Book You Read in 2016?
“In my head I’ve been in love before, but it doesn’t feel like it. Being in love with you is better than the first time. It feels like the first time and the last time and the only time all at once.” — Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read in 2016?
A Gallagher Wedding by Ally Carter was the shortest. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was the longest.
17. Book That Shocked You the Most?
Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin definitely shocked me the most. I’m still crying over that ending.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (You Will Go Down With This Ship!)
“Feysand” (Feyre and Rhysand)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship of the Year
Emma and Cristina from Lady Midnight.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Boy is Back by Meg Cabot
21. Best Book You Read in 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY on a Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. This book was everywhere on bookstagram and once my friend Jess told me she’d read it and liked it that was the final push for me to read it. A slow start but overall an awesome read.
22. Newest Fictional Crush From a Book You Read in 2016?
Magiano from The Young Elites trilogy
23. Best 2016 Debut You Read?
Dreamology by Lucy Keating
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I hate to say ACOMAF again but the worldbuilding in that book is superb. Velaris alone is enough to make ACOMAF my first choice.
25. Book That Put a Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN to Read?
Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
26. Book That Made You Cry or Nearly Cry in 2016?
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
27. Hidden Gem of the Year?
You Were Here by Cori McCarthy
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The end of Empire of Storms definitely crushed my soul.
29. Most Unique Book You Read in 2016?
Definitely Illuminae and Gemina.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (Doesn’t Necessarily Mean You Didn’t Like It)?
Probably It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover just because it was so disappointing.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered in 2016?
2. Favorite Review That You Wrote in 2016?
My review for Blood for Blood is pretty great, if I do say so myself.
3. Best Discussion/Non-Review Post You Had on Your Blog?
I really like my post on book hangovers.
4. Best Event That You Participated In (Author Signings, Festivals, Virtual Events, Memes, etc.)?
Definitely Book Con. I can’t wait to do it all again next year.
5. Best Moment of Bookish/Blogging Life in 2016?
When I hit 2,000 followers on Instagram. It still doesn’t feel real, tbh.
6. Most Challenging Thing About Blogging or Your Reading Life This Year?
Definitely time management. I’m definitely going to be cutting back next year and reading less so I can focus on my writing more.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My book review of The Crown by Kiera Cass.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My “9 Ways to Up Your Bookstagram Game” post, although to be fair I didn’t have a lot of followers back then so I can understand why no one trusted my judgement, lol.
9. Best Bookish Discovery (Book Related Sites, Book Stores, etc.)?
Definitely Book Outlet. I’ve gotten so many cheap books from that site this year.
10. Did You Complete Any Reading Challenges or Goals That You Had Set For Yourself at the Beginning of This Year?
Yep! I reached my goal of reading 100 books this year, and just in the nick of time too.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get to in 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2017 (non-debut)?
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
The last Throne of Glass book 😦
5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2017?
Read more diverse books by diverse authors
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend to Everyone:
I haven’t read any yet. I’m so behind on my ARCs 😦